Pop Culture Artifacts

Pop Culture Artifacts
Silly bandz

Wednesday, September 29, 2010

So what is Popular Culture anyway?

According to the book Profiles of Popular Culture, “Popular culture is the system of attitudes, behavior patterns, beliefs, customs, and tastes that define the people of any society” (Edited by Ray Browne, 2005, p. 3. para. 2).  To me, it is the here and now; the television shows we watch, the music we listen to, the food we eat, the clothes we wear, the cars we drive, and the homes we want to live in.  It’s what we do for fun; it’s the latest and greatest.  Simply put; it’s the current norms of mainstream society.

Understanding popular culture is not only relevant, but imperative in a business environment; one must know what the consumer wants in order to be successful.  For example, I am in retail; my business depends on having the right products at the right time.  In other words, if we do not have the products that the consumer wants to buy, nothing will sell; without sales, the business will quickly go under.  However, staying in tune with, and understanding popular culture ensures that the business has the right product at the right time.  

An example of a popular culture artifact is that which is pictured above; Silly Bandz.  This is the latest and greatest of juvenile bracelets.  They are pliable bracelets that come in many shapes, such as animals and stars, and come in many colors, including neon and glow-in-the-dark.  I was very excited to see them arrive at my store as I knew they would immediately sell; they were gone in a matter of days.  It would be difficult to find a preteen that was unaware of, or did not own, these bracelets.  Many people call these bracelets a fad; retailers call them a money maker; I call them an artifact of popular culture.      


Browne, R. (Ed.). (2005). Profiles of popular culture. Madison, Wisconsin The University of   Wisconsin Press.

9 comments:

  1. Did you realize that Silly Bandz are made right here in Ohio. His biggest customer is Odd Lots. He owns a complete block in Toledo because his business is that large.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I did not know that his business filled an entire block in Toledo. That is an interesting tidbit; thanks for sharing it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is crazy! I had no idea silly bandz were made in OH, there's all sorts of knock offs now too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I volunteer at a camp in the summer and the kids are in grades 5th and 6th. I am telling you every kid had these silly bands. Before camp I had no idea the things existed. By the end of the first day I knew all about them. It cracks me up that all the technology out there and all the things we can develop and these kids want colored rubber in the shape of everyday objects?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am a 21 year old and I myself have silly bands. I trade them with my younger couzins!!lol

    ReplyDelete
  6. The link below is about Silly Bandz; it says that the idea came from a trade show in China. They had rubber bands that stretched into animal shapes; Robert Croak, the originator, thought that they might sell well if he used different material and sold them as jewelry pieces. I’d say his hunch was right.

    http://www.suite101.com/content/the-silly-bandz-craze-a265359

    ReplyDelete
  7. Posted by: Linda Penrose

    Lisa,

    Great Job on your blog! It's looks great and I like how you have the silly bandz on there. Those things are out of control right now. I have one that is a weiner dog because I have 2 of them! hehe. I think your definition of pop culture is dead on. I kind of put the same in my blog about how I think it is the fun part of life. Our food, music, movies, etc. Great insight on how pop culture is relevant in business today, I thought about how in business we can use it as common ground between co-workers as well by talking about what we have in common in pop culture tastes. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  8. When I first heard of Silly Bandz, I was at my daughters school talking to other parents. I agree that they can be very distracting. My daughter is only in first grade but the kids that are in third grade and up have Silly Bandz up their arms. It is a try money maker. They have so many different kind. The specialized bands are more expensive, to just be shaped rubber bands. I am happy my daughter is not old enough to really care about them. They are very cute but not worth the money or the time.
    ~Jaclyn Treadwell

    ReplyDelete
  9. You made a very good point about how understanding popular culture can aid in working with consumers. this type of interaction can be very vital in many fields. My husband works in the tree industry and due to the current "going green" moto (that I truly agree with) his customers are expecting, and desiring different approaches, and mentalities about his job. It is amazing how one change in popular culture can affect so many aspects of life.

    Thanks,

    Shelby Holcomb

    ReplyDelete